|European Union Electricity Market Glossary|
‘TSO-BSP model’ means a model for the exchange of balancing services where the balancing service provider (BSP) provides balancing services directly to the contracting TSO, which then provides these balancing services to the requesting TSO (Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/2195 of 23 November 2017 establishing a guideline on electricity balancing, Article 2(43)).
- a TSO-BSP model, and
- a TSO-TSO model.
It was decided that the European integration model for a future EU-wide balancing market should be based on a TSO-TSO model, where TSOs covers all cross-border processes and obligations (if not delegated to a third party).
The said Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/2195 of 23 November 2017 envisions that:
- the TSO-BSP model for the exchange of balancing energy from frequency restoration reserve (FRR) may be applied only where the TSO-BSP model is also applied for the exchange of balancing capacity for frequency restoration reserves;
According to Article 35 of the said Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/2195 of 23 November 2017 where the TSO-BSP model applies, the respective TSOs and balancing service providers may be exempted for the relevant processes from the application of the following provisions of the said Regulation:
- Article 16(2) - “each balancing service provider shall submit to the connecting TSO its balancing capacity bids that affect one or more balance responsible parties”;
- Article 16(4) - “each balancing service provider with a contract for balancing capacity shall submit to its connecting TSO the balancing energy bids or integrated scheduling process bids corresponding to the volume, products, and other requirements set out in the balancing capacity contract”;
- Article 16(5) - “any balancing service provider shall have the right to submit to its connecting TSO the balancing energy bids from standard products or specific products or integrated scheduling process bids for which it has passed the prequalification process” and
- Article 29(9), stipulating that each connecting TSO shall submit, prior to the TSO energy bid submission gate closure time, all balancing energy bids received from balancing service providers to the activation optimisation function, the connecting TSOs shall not modify or withhold balancing energy bids, save for some exceptions.
Use of cross-zonal capacity by BSPs in the TSO-BSP model
According to Article 43 of the The said Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/2195 of 23 November 2017:
- BSPs which have a contract for balancing capacity with a TSO on the basis of a TSO-BSP model have the right to use cross-zonal capacity for the exchange of balancing capacity if they are holders of physical transmission rights;
- BSPs which use cross-zonal capacity for the exchange of balancing capacity on the basis of a TSO-BSP model nominate their physical transmission rights for the exchange of balancing capacity to the concerned TSOs (such physical transmission rights provide the right to their holders to nominate the exchange of balancing energy to the concerned TSOs and are therefore excluded from the application of the UIOSI principle);
Network Code on Electricity Balancing (Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/2195 of 23 November 2017 establishing a guideline on electricity balancing - NC EB), Article 2(43), Article 35
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 January 2018 22:49|